Warband of the Ghostcaller
By: Geordan Melton
My name is Gergand, the Skald of Wales. I’m not sure if I can call myself a true skald, but after receiving the title from an extremely generous and well entertained chief, I couldn’t imagine calling myself anything else. I do not come with tales and legends that may have happened. I only speak of places I’ve been, things I’ve seen, and sights not meant for living eyes. Which is why I couldn’t help myself when a viking and a templar walked into this same old haunt looking for yours truly.
I was having my usual breakfast and mead, admiring how the sky wasn’t covered in its usual seasonal depression. The ice hadn’t yet frozen but winter was well on the way. The fire was so perfect, I decided it might be the kind of day where I could afford to laze about and take an after-breakfast nap. My dreams were soon shattered as the front door swung wide open with two new visitors. One had furs and a very Nordic look to him, while his companion wore the very obvious white cape and hood bearing his order’s insignia. The templar had with him a great claymore that shined with the grace of God himself, and wore the face of a battle-hardened commander with slicked-back salt and pepper hair. Meanwhile, the viking was quite young and rugged. The fresh warrior came armed with a quiver full of javelins, a shield, and a spear, all looking poised to pierce the thickest of hides. Even the buckler held a spike on the front!
The templar spoke briefly to the bartender, Laoise, before making a straight shot to me.
“Are you the man they say can speak to spirits?”
“Aye that would be myself. Looking to settle a debate?” I motioned over to his peculiar companion. There wasn’t anything weird about a viking being in Wales. This templar and viking walking into a tavern to speak to a man who speaks with the dead? Now that’s a bit odd.
He gave a warm laugh, “Yes well I can see why you would think that! No, we are here to find someone who can lead us back into the woods.”
“Then shouldn’t you be looking for a ranger or a guide of some kind? I know these woods as well as anyone else, but I believe your money would be more well used on someone of that occupation.” As nice as it all sounded, I was still hoping to claim this day for my own lazy needs.
“That’s why we are here! We spoke to guides and even tried to find our destination on our own, but something wicked impedes us. We were told that maybe you might have a chance of leading us there.” The templar spoke with the usual gallantry that befitted a knight.
“And there is?”
The viking spoke for the first time, “To return to the place where I lost my brothers, and free their spirits.”
I waved them closer, “I can see why they sent you my way then! Please, sit! I see that we might have much to discuss. I am Gergand, the Skald of Wales.”
“Thank you so much for entertaining our intrusion. I am Brother Bosephus, and this is my friend Oddr Ingeirsson.” They took their seats, got settled and Bosephus began their story. “It’s a short tale but an eventful one. A small detachment and I were sent to investigate a possible spiritual threat out in the woods, and were met with a foul spirit who used our fallen warriors and long dead spirits to drive us away. Only Oddr and I survived.”
“And now the souls of my kin are trapped!” Oddr growled.
“What makes him think they are trapped?”
“This monster raises the dead. My brothers are trapped in their flesh, unable to move on to Valhalla. This is your fault, templar!”
The old man let out a deep sigh and shook his head. “I’m not the man who killed your comrades, I did what was necessary for us to survive, and you wouldn’t be here to avenge them otherwise,” Bosephus listed off, obviously not for the first time. Oddr crossed his arms, tired of hearing it again.
I knew more stories about these old woods than anyone else. Kings and Chiefs had come and gone, but many of them still claimed what was theirs in life.
“What is it that you did that angers our dear friend?” I asked.
“I drove a holy spike into the ground to bind the spirits and force the beast to sleep. I was still chased by these black hounds from hell, but I was fortunate enough to make it away with Oddr. That would be good enough; go back, consecrate the ground and let that terrible fiend await judgement at the end of the world, but…”
“We cannot leave my brethren! Even those dark wolves knew I was never meant to leave. They are the vengeful servants of Hel herself!”
“Maybe, but it could just be a grouchy old man who doesn’t know his time here is done.” I answered. Dark hounds are never a good sign, no matter the beliefs however.
“I wouldn’t dare leave your brethren. However, I’m not going to just let you throw yourself into the belly of a beast just to satiate your pride.” The old man stared down the young norse warrior, the way a veteran stares down a new join, until they seemed to reach an unspoken agreement.
“Then we must leave today, while this weather is fair. I believe I know this place and this specter you speak of.” I got up and bid myself pardon. I knew what probably awaited us and we weren’t going to have any good weather once we started down this path.
“Perfect! When are you going to let us know as well?” Bosephus called while I strutted away. It is often impossible to make a good dramatic exit with inquisitive people.
I paused, “I promise we have plenty of time on the way there for me to fill in the gaps of your story. Such as how those black hounds are just that, Black Hounds, that chase after those who flee death. Or. who this death is, and how I wish you two hadn’t disturbed him.” and after another moment, disappeared into my room.
What good is being a skald if you can’t take time to be mysterious? Besides, between having a genuine son of the norse and a legitimate holy man, I didn’t really have much to worry about. Be it spirit, ghoul, fiend, or banshee, I knew just by the look of them we were equipped to fight anything mundane or mystical. The only problem is we were going after something that can’t be so easily persuaded to leave. If death couldn’t even convince it to move on, we were going to need to be a little more crafty.
Once we got on the path to certain dismay, probable doom, hopefully success, I decided it was time to let them know what they had gotten themselves into. You see, The King in the Barrow is an old fellow that couldn’t be bothered to stop running his kingdom even while in the grave. He was a great hero, who until his dying breath kept order. However, no matter their greatness, no human can outrun time, and therefore, death. When death saw how well his kingdom prospered, he allowed him to continue his rule into the afterlife. However, he would now also become some kind of ferryman for his people’s deceased, leading the passage of their souls from this world to the next, or to collect to make sure all debts are settled.
His people were naturally drawn to other living beings, or perished at the hands or time. So, there was no one left to collect a debt from and no one left to account for. All except for some of his most loyal subjects, who decided serving him in life wasn’t enough. Now he and his oathsworn awaited something even a servant of death couldn’t be sure of.
“Therefore,” once I had told them the same, “we already have a strategy that will be obviously easier said than done.”
“We do?” Oddr mumbled with his mouth full of stew, fresh off the fire.
“We do! Good to see you can eat and listen, dear Oddr.” Oddr growled something at me that would’ve been offensive had I been more versed in Scandinavian vulgarities, but I continued, “You’ve been so quiet ever since we left the tavern! I had thought the old man had talked you into a vow of silence.”
“Maybe not silence.” Bosephus chuckled.
Oddr had his fill of our good nature and finally let it be known. “How can you two be jovial? My brothers were slain, and who knows what those dark hounds have caught. All while we sit here making jokes!”
“You’re right. All the dogs probably know is to hunt down anyone bearing a cross.” I agreed. “Hopefully there isn’t anyone that looks too much like you, or else there is going to be a bunch of angry ghosts giving us dirty stares when we get there!”
Oddr, gave me a dirty look. I pointed at him and brought attention to being proven right. He started to get up and I’m pretty sure if it wasn’t for the kind christian gentleman I wouldn’t be here to tell you the rest of the story. I’m not saying Oddr would’ve killed me, but he didn’t seem the type to be bothered by leaving an unconscious fool with a big mouth in the woods.
Bosephus kept him from completely rising with a hand on his shoulder, “The skald is only trying to lighten our burden, as heavy as it is.” He gave me a stern look that I could imagine only my father could replicate. I decided it was best to give the poor young lad a little respite from my wit before we both got reprimanded.
Oddr sat back down, and eyed his bowl. A man of his stature and youth would be hungrier, but something was gnawing at him. Something in his head wouldn’t let him go. When he had finally finished chewing on his thoughts, he spoke.
“I used to make jokes with those who we are going to.” He took another bite, chewed on his thoughts again for a moment, “If I were home, and they would’ve fallen there, I would also be making merry now. My entire village would celebrate their journey after death, but I fear that if left in that cold place for too long, their souls may lose their place in Valhalla and find a terrible new home in Helheiml.”
I tried to offer some hope, “With you around, it doesn't matter if we get there five years from now. I’m sure your fiery demeanor will be enough to warm them back up.” A slight smile broke his grimace. “In all my years I have learned that as long as someone is around to tell the story, the dead never truly leave us.”
“Now that is the saneest thing you have said all day!” Bosephus jested, “I hope that our plan will be even better Gergand.”
“Goodness, thank you for reminding me! I was having too much fun and forgot to let you in on that part of our story. It should be as simple as walking up, requesting the fallen be released to their proper hereafters, and be on our way in time for mass.”
“Really? Do you think it will be that simple?”
“Of course! You two might have to fill in as impromptu thespians, but it’s simple enough..” That wasn’t a lie either. This quest should’ve been over before we even fell scared of a few shadowy mutts. The king counts the dead, there are some amongst his count that don’t belong to him, and we all go home happy once that little misunderstanding is cleared up. So long as our dearly departed chief remembers what he is a king of.
“I may have practiced my hand at stage crafts when I was protecting a traveling band of monks.” The holy man kneaded his beard thoughtfully.
“How did that happen? Were they missing someone to play Mary Madelene?”
“No, they needed a Joseph.” I didn’t ask how he did, but I had seen the monks perform their plays pulled straight from the Bible, and for a group of typically pretentious gathering of men they did quite well.
“Not surprising. What about you? Did any singing or dancing back home in the old mead halls and inns?”
Oddr took a gulp, “If you are in need of me I’ll give it my all. No part is too ridiculous to send my kin to where they belong.”
“Interesting,” Bosephus said, surprised.
“What?” Oddr commanded.
“Nothing! I just would’ve thought you would be more reluctant to take part in such a thing.” Bosephus answered with a hint of pride in his voice.
“If he is a skald like he says he is, then he knows what will appease it. In my homeland, we were told stories of draugr that were lulled by the song of a skald. It’s no more weird than Odin himself plucking his eye for wisdom.”
Bosephus agreed, “He does speak the truth. Even we believe that songs hold power, whether that purpose be for worship or otherwise.”
“Then we are prepared for whatever comes next!” I was just happy I didn’t have to do much convincing for once.
It would’ve been a great end to the night, if it wasn’t for a deep howl that would’ve chilled even the mightiest dragon to the bone. Oddr donned his spear and shield. Bosephus began a prayer, holding his claymore more like a cross than a sword. I began to sing a song as old as the forest if you can believe it. It was an ancient ballad that spoke about home, fire, safe journeys. Whether it was my song, the prayer, or Oddr’s menacing stature that sent the hound howling far from our ears, I couldn't tell you.
Bosephus finished his prayer with a hallowed Amen and continued as if nothing had happened. “We needn’t worry about the hounds if we are being perfectly reasonable. Nice to have several means of safety though.”
“Really now? Do the hounds of death not frighten the sanctified?" I said, continuing to play my crwth.
“Think about it. Be they hellhounds, Black Hounds, or any other servant of death, we can count on them following some kind of code. I would be much more vexed by some kind of chaos spreading imp for example.” He began to laugh, “If they only chase those trying to flee death, then we should have nothing to fear!”
“Just a foolhardy band of miscreants running head first into the inevitable.” I chuckled along.
Oddr sighed uncomfortably. “I just hope that if I must die this time, I will die freeing my brothers. I gladly welcome death if that is what is required.”
“Don’t be too willing to die, my proud friend. When you spend too much time worrying about death, you often miss out on life!” I was hoping that the part of him that wanted to throw himself into his last battle wouldn’t undermine his will to see this through with us.
Oddr got deathly serious. He whispered, “Who do you think it is after? I was meant to die with them, and now it chases me.”
“If you were meant to die then you would be dead,” Bosephus hastily interjected. “No man escapes death. We can choose how we live, and make the best out of the time left for us, but nothing stops it.”
“Yet here we are, about to fight the inevitable.” Oddr remarked.
“Not death, just one of its many servants. I wouldn’t have even brought a weapon had I thought we were going against death itself! Would’ve been extra weight not worth carrying.”
“Doesn’t matter. It might be as useless as a child fighting the wind, but I will fight death until the end. Only then may it take me.” Oddr said defiantly.
“If that is how you choose to live, then who am I to say if that is wrong? The only true way to fight death is to render it meaningless. When what happens next can be so grand, living is the only way to deny death its primordial sting.” Bosephus concluded.
“Well put! Obviously they should’ve had you play a wise man.” Bosephus gave me a stong stare that betrayed his sly smirk. “Regardless, we will only be sure what tomorrow holds when we get there.”.
“True, unless the hounds get me in the night.” With that joke, he allowed sleep to take him.
Bosephus shook his head. It was clear that the old man had taken a liking to Oddr. His willingness to fight and die was refreshing. Even the templar’s response to such dangers was a welcomed addition. Many of those who shared his age would’ve gladly found themselves a nice office with an expensively comfy chair and lived out life from there. A monastery up until recently wasn’t exactly what I would call safe, you know with the rampant pillaging and such, but almost definitely safer than what we were doing. I truly believe that Christian was one of the good ones. The ones that lived life free from death, and free to do what they wanted. Bosephus wanted to make the world safer, and picked evil as his only true enemy. Or maybe he was just not yet tired of living. I’d yet to see him swing that sword of his.
“Just a foolhardy band of miscreants running head first into the inevitable.” I chuckled along.
Oddr sighed uncomfortably. “I just hope that if I must die this time, I will die freeing my brothers. I gladly welcome death if that is what is required.”
“Don’t be too willing to die, my proud friend. When you spend too much time worrying about death, you often miss out on life!” I was hoping that the part of him that wanted to throw himself into his last battle wouldn’t undermine his will to see this through with us.
Oddr got deathly serious. He whispered, “Who do you think it is after? I was meant to die with them, and now it chases me.”
“If you were meant to die then you would be dead,” Bosephus hastily interjected. “No man escapes death. We can choose how we live, and make the best out of the time left for us, but nothing stops it.”
“Yet here we are, about to fight the inevitable.” Oddr remarked.
“Not death, just one of its many servants. I wouldn’t have even brought a weapon had I thought we were going against death itself! Would’ve been extra weight not worth carrying.”
“Doesn’t matter. It might be as useless as a child fighting the wind, but I will fight death until the end. Only then may it take me.” Oddr said defiantly.
“If that is how you choose to live, then who am I to say if that is wrong? The only true way to fight death is to render it meaningless. When what happens next can be so grand, living is the only way to deny death its primordial sting.” Bosephus concluded.
“Well put! Obviously they should’ve had you play a wise man.” Bosephus gave me a stong stare that betrayed his sly smirk. “Regardless, we will only be sure what tomorrow holds when we get there.”.
“True, unless the hounds get me in the night.” With that joke, he allowed sleep to take him.
Bosephus shook his head. It was clear that the old man had taken a liking to Oddr. His willingness to fight and die was refreshing. Even the templar’s response to such dangers was a welcomed addition. Many of those who shared his age would’ve gladly found themselves a nice office with an expensively comfy chair and lived out life from there. A monastery up until recently wasn’t exactly what I would call safe, you know with the rampant pillaging and such, but almost definitely safer than what we were doing. I truly believe that Christian was one of the good ones. The ones that lived life free from death, and free to do what they wanted. Bosephus wanted to make the world safer, and picked evil as his only true enemy. Or maybe he was just not yet tired of living. I’d yet to see him swing that sword of his.
Oddr on the other hand was more than content being a warrior whose life goal was to meet someone strong enough and skilled enough to kill him with honor. I don’t think he thought of it like that, though. He was meant to fight until there was no fight left to be had. Made me worry for the poor lad, that he would be unfortunate enough to live long and become undefeatable. I wonder what a man like him would do if he was forced to be slain by age. I don’t even think the wise Odin would have a clue what to do with such an angry old soul.
Oddr was already snoring, and reminded us both of rest. “I’ll tend to the fire first. I need to prepare for tomorrow.”
I found no reason to argue and started getting comfortable. “Wake me up next. I would like Oddr to be well rested for his funeral.”
“I will not allow that to happen.”
“And further disappoint the poor boy?”
“He can stay disappointed then. A battle will one day come where we will all be overwhelmed. It may be selfish, but tomorrow will not be that day as long as I have my way.” He rummaged through his provisions, meticulously checking every trick he had tucked away.
I now shook my head at him. “Why are you so reluctant to let him have his just reward?”
“Because, we cannot fulfill our purpose from the grave. Only rarely does it ever happen that way. I do not fear death, and I will not throw myself in blasphemous jaws just for a quick death.” Righteous fury built behind his words. Before he allowed himself to be overwhelmed with anger, he said. “Besides, there is so much out there that threatens peaceful existence that deserves him as a punishment. Not to mention I don’t think our strength combined even on a better day would be enough to carry him all the way back if we were to let him fall.”
“Plus we would have to carry everything he would want to be burned with, or hope the King in the Barrow allows us one funeral pyre right after we’re done trespassing in his domain again.” I said falling asleep.
“He is a servant of death. I serve the living God. If he doesn’t want to follow his own laws, then I will give him laws he shall not be permitted to break.” Bosephus then allowed me to rest. That was one thing you could always count on with these religious zealots. They were always willing to bring down holy fire. I appreciated his restraint though. Oddr was angry, but other than an outburst or two I knew he could be handled. It is never a good idea to stand before a righteous man who has decided to make the world a safer place. I rather take my chances getting smote.
The morning fog had thickened around us, so that only our only direction were the words I heard on the wind. The voices of the forest are excruciatingly loud, if you know what to listen for. I was sure we chose the right path when out of the fog our predatory tormentors revealed themselves. We came to a clearing where the fog was thin enough we could see we were in a ring of trees. At first there was only one dog. Then three. Then seven. Then our very shadows seemed to harbor frightening foes.
“Halt! You already have disturbed this place once. What would cause you to make such a grievous error twice?”
Oddr gripped his weapons nervously, and Bosephus eyed the dogs with a cold stare that unnerved them They all peered into each other’s eyes, weighing the chances. I wonder what the dogs saw. Oddr obviously saw a worthy challenge, but they seemed to almost quiet down looking at Bosephus. There was a hunger in his eyes that even the dead recognized. For before them was a man with purpose, and a ravenous hunger for righteousness. He finally looked at me and I was interested to find not righteous fury on his face, but his eyes spoke of an inferno that was waiting for one impolite movement that would excuse even the tiniest release of heat. Yet, that was just what I saw.
“Would you like me to speak, or do you want to handle this?” He spoke candidly.
“If you think you can handle it I don’t see what harm it can do.” He gave me a smile at that retort, and I continued to hope that these monsters I had led into the forest didn’t kill our guides.
“We come to make amends, and take back what was improperly taken.” Bosephus took a step towards the hound that first spoke.
“All that die here belong to our lord.” the hound growled.
“Not if their souls belong to others. By killing them they have paid for their transgression, and should now be allowed to move on.”
“So you return to take your accursed mark away? Why should we believe that you have returned just to release our master again? Do you truly think he will not have you pay for breaking the same law twice?” It barked.
“Accursed? If I had my way I would be done with you insufferable dogs immediately just for impeding our travel, but I realize that would just result in more wasted time. We are not fleeing, and I bring with us a skald that might be able to help us negotiate a reasonable accord with your lord. When I awaken your lord, and I do mean when, how pleased will he be to find that his loyal servants couldn’t be bothered to deliver him a peaceful entourage requesting his audience?” The paladin used that high 'n mighty voice of his I'm sure worked well in church buracracy.
They snapped and gnashed their teeth. “A skald you say? Then maybe you can be of some use to us afterall, since you lack understanding of our ways. Enough talk!” We began a timid advance after them, who trotted towards the mist and parted it where they strode.
I found no reason to argue and started getting comfortable. “Wake me up next. I would like Oddr to be well rested for his funeral.”
“I will not allow that to happen.”
“And further disappoint the poor boy?”
“He can stay disappointed then. A battle will one day come where we will all be overwhelmed. It may be selfish, but tomorrow will not be that day as long as I have my way.” He rummaged through his provisions, meticulously checking every trick he had tucked away.
I now shook my head at him. “Why are you so reluctant to let him have his just reward?”
“Because, we cannot fulfill our purpose from the grave. Only rarely does it ever happen that way. I do not fear death, and I will not throw myself in blasphemous jaws just for a quick death.” Righteous fury built behind his words. Before he allowed himself to be overwhelmed with anger, he said. “Besides, there is so much out there that threatens peaceful existence that deserves him as a punishment. Not to mention I don’t think our strength combined even on a better day would be enough to carry him all the way back if we were to let him fall.”
“Plus we would have to carry everything he would want to be burned with, or hope the King in the Barrow allows us one funeral pyre right after we’re done trespassing in his domain again.” I said falling asleep.
“He is a servant of death. I serve the living God. If he doesn’t want to follow his own laws, then I will give him laws he shall not be permitted to break.” Bosephus then allowed me to rest. That was one thing you could always count on with these religious zealots. They were always willing to bring down holy fire. I appreciated his restraint though. Oddr was angry, but other than an outburst or two I knew he could be handled. It is never a good idea to stand before a righteous man who has decided to make the world a safer place. I rather take my chances getting smote.
The morning fog had thickened around us, so that only our only direction were the words I heard on the wind. The voices of the forest are excruciatingly loud, if you know what to listen for. I was sure we chose the right path when out of the fog our predatory tormentors revealed themselves. We came to a clearing where the fog was thin enough we could see we were in a ring of trees. At first there was only one dog. Then three. Then seven. Then our very shadows seemed to harbor frightening foes.
“Halt! You already have disturbed this place once. What would cause you to make such a grievous error twice?”
Oddr gripped his weapons nervously, and Bosephus eyed the dogs with a cold stare that unnerved them They all peered into each other’s eyes, weighing the chances. I wonder what the dogs saw. Oddr obviously saw a worthy challenge, but they seemed to almost quiet down looking at Bosephus. There was a hunger in his eyes that even the dead recognized. For before them was a man with purpose, and a ravenous hunger for righteousness. He finally looked at me and I was interested to find not righteous fury on his face, but his eyes spoke of an inferno that was waiting for one impolite movement that would excuse even the tiniest release of heat. Yet, that was just what I saw.
“Would you like me to speak, or do you want to handle this?” He spoke candidly.
“If you think you can handle it I don’t see what harm it can do.” He gave me a smile at that retort, and I continued to hope that these monsters I had led into the forest didn’t kill our guides.
“We come to make amends, and take back what was improperly taken.” Bosephus took a step towards the hound that first spoke.
“All that die here belong to our lord.” the hound growled.
“Not if their souls belong to others. By killing them they have paid for their transgression, and should now be allowed to move on.”
“So you return to take your accursed mark away? Why should we believe that you have returned just to release our master again? Do you truly think he will not have you pay for breaking the same law twice?” It barked.
“Accursed? If I had my way I would be done with you insufferable dogs immediately just for impeding our travel, but I realize that would just result in more wasted time. We are not fleeing, and I bring with us a skald that might be able to help us negotiate a reasonable accord with your lord. When I awaken your lord, and I do mean when, how pleased will he be to find that his loyal servants couldn’t be bothered to deliver him a peaceful entourage requesting his audience?” The paladin used that high 'n mighty voice of his I'm sure worked well in church buracracy.
They snapped and gnashed their teeth. “A skald you say? Then maybe you can be of some use to us afterall, since you lack understanding of our ways. Enough talk!” We began a timid advance after them, who trotted towards the mist and parted it where they strode.
As we appeared before the mound, I increased my stride so that I could lead for the rest of our trial. The dog stood post next to the cross that had been sunk into the ground. I nodded to Bosephus, who ripped the cross from the dirt and placed it on his belt. Immediately we were surrounded by tall, dark shadows, and the dogs themselves began to take on human forms. Men and women now stood tall, prepared to defend their king even past death. Corpses of the newly or ancient fallen now rose, and stood rank and file, as if they had served eternity together.
Before us now was a man that was almost mortal if it wasn’t for his sunken features and ghostly appearance. He strode from the top of the barrow as if he was making his descent from a magnificent staircase. I motioned for them to kneel, but Oddr couldn’t help himself. His gaze was held by some of the undead, since they had recently fought together.
“My brothers! Join me now, for glory awaits!” he cried out in his native tongue.
“They cannot hear you warrior, for their ears are beyond your voice.” The King of the Barrow bellowed out. Even the unruly dogs kept their mouths firmly shut in his presence.
I decided it was time for me to speak. “Kneel Oddr! Before you end up destroying the only chance we have to save them.”
“I will not.” He stood his ground, ready to die, of course.
It was obvious I was going to have to be more direct with our young protege. “You will. I’m sure there is an awful chieftain that has done way worse things to people that trespass that you still had to kneel for. We are in his halls requesting his audience. Now is not the time to make an ass of yourself.”
He grumbled, “My brothers would hear my call even in Helheim.” Yet he kneeled. I believed him, I just needed him to wait to use those windbags of his.
“Please pardon this one. Sometimes it’s hard for him to act civilized around even those as honored as yourself, oh King of the Barrow.” I bowed low enough that my forehead almost scraped my knee.
“Come and rise, all of you. It might have been years uncountable since I have last had an actual audience. Even if your company has vexed more than just this occasion…”
Oh fun, I thought, a king who would rather speak plainly or not speak at all. “As I am well aware of my lord. You see, they’re men who were sent by an order that means to snuff out all manner of spiritual threats, evil or worse. Without investigating your hallowed ground they wouldn’t be able to ascertain the true nature of your rule. What they couldn’t have known was that by trespassing they were subject to penalty under what was, again, an unknown law.”
“Fair, but everyone is subject to rules regardless of intention or ignorance. Death is a known consequence for venturing too far into the woods.” His cool voice reminded me of a nice comfy bed I was hoping to make acquaintances with post haste.
“If this was a matter of nature then I would have you throw us to the wolves, and let us sort it out that way. However, it was my understanding that you were meant to count your dead, not all who die on this ground.” Plain speech often devolves into who is technically right, and to all of our knowledge, or lack there off, we were right.
“However, there still remains the price of trespassing to be paid. They might’ve not known the law the first time, but how can you expect me to stand such a blatant disregard for my laws twice?” His voice wasn’t just cold anymore, it was actively trying to suck the life out of us and have us join the legion that stood so close by.
“Then I am here as payment, not with my soul, but with a story. For your people were grand and your legacy strong that although you have not heard of me I have heard of you.”
“What good does this do me?” His grip on our very lives loosened. I hoped he didn’t have the same ideas as Plato about the humanities or else we were going to have to let Oddr do as he pleased.
“Because I come bearing a gift that even death did not grant you. I offer you an ending.”
“Ridiculous! What does death need with an ending? My rule was so enviable in life that death sought to make me one with it and rule until-” He stammered. “Until…”
“Don’t get ahead of me yet my lord. For just as I can help you find your ending, I can help you end that sentence.” Both my compatriots eyed me in the hopes I could offer them any kind of guarantee. All I could guarantee is no matter where we ended up next it was going to be a good story.
Finally the king relented. “Fine! Show me this story of my life and by its end I will have decided whether it is equal to their lives.”
I strummed a song, and the borrowed disappeared before us. We were suddenly in an idyllic village, watching the trees move through the woods. The hill before us had transformed into a great hall. As I spoke, the scenery came into our view.
“The Chieftain of the Woods was a man who was cherished by all and challenged by none. For he was just and spoke with an honor that bolstered them in the times of peace,” There was suddenly fire on the roof of the hall. From out of its large doors burst forth an army led by the king. “And lit a flame in their hearts in defense of their lands.” Bosephus and Oddr immediately knew their parts and sprung into action against the horde that barrelled down on all of us. Oddr was most excited, as he found himself reunited with his men.
He was so overwhelmed that his voice cracked as he rallied them behind him. “With me brethren! Forward to battle! Forward to glory! Until we meet in Valhalla!” Oddr and his men broke through their lines as if it were parchment. Where one spear struck, three or more joined. I watched as Bosephus took a different approach and gracefully and almost foolishly fought alone. But as he cleaved through the curtain of enemies the came down upon him, he made it clear that he didn’t die young for a reason. As I played his blade sang and I could’ve swore that a very pleased archangel joined the chorus.
“As specters of evils past were once again subjugated time and time again to his righteous will, the Chieftain of the Woods prevailed against even the mightiest of foes.” The battle had been won, and now only smoke rose into the clear skies. The king, now all flesh and blood, and wearing his finest war furs, walked the battlefield. The sky turned grey as he knelt down next to his fallen comrades. Oddr feeling compassion for the first time, approached the king and placed his hand upon his shoulder.
The king regained his composure. “Thank you for fighting with us today strangers. We are honored to have friends such as you all.”
Oddr looked around, and found that the templar had joined his outfit. He bowed his head, “It was our honor to fight with you lord.”
He was compelled to look back down, just as I was compelled to continue, “However, there was one thing that even his lordship couldn’t fend off.” The king and his fallen comrade disappeared, and the only light came from inside the hall. The king now sat on his mighty throne. He had become old and withered, and yet his men still sat around him, merrily delighting in their chieftain.”Although death had come to take him, death had made an offer. The chance to continue his rule even in death. Without an heir to call his own, he accepted.” The throne disappeared, and we were taken back to the front of what was now just a mound.
“The Chieftain of the Woods was no more, and the King of the Barrow now continued his work. To forever count and lead his people in death, until-”
“Until all are accounted for, and my work here is truly completed.” He had his back to us, looking up into the gloomy sky. “I have ruled over my subjects for so long that I had forgotten that I don’t even know what may happen next.”
I stopped playing, and took a step towards the king. “I think wherever they are, they are awaiting their chieftain, my lord”
“And if I may be so bold, this cross I carry consecrates any ground, and places a holy guardian over it. If you will permit me, I will make sure that no one will disturb these graves until the very end.” Brother Bosephus could’ve just waiting until he left, but I think it would’ve bothered him until that same end if he didn’t ask.
The king laughed a little, the most warmth his cold soul could muster. “If you had asked that very same question only a mere couple days ago, I would’ve killed you.”
“Tried to kill us.” Oddr said. Bosephus took a sigh of relief.
“Yes in my pitiful state even I was surprised I fended you off the first time. I don’t know how much longer I could’ve held your brothers here for that matter. They truly were not mine to take.” He stood not breaking his gaze from the sky.
“Then this is your ending, High Chieftain of the Barrow in the Woods. Reunion with your people, and the ledger is balanced.” I started playing again, if only to seal the deal.
“Yes, that is more than worth the price of two men who risked their lives to give me rest.” The legion around us faded, and Oddr was left to speak with his comrades. I guess they waited this long to be released, they were going to stick around and say their farewells.
Bosephus prepared to consecrate the ground, and Oddr shared one last moment before his family left forever. The cross was stuck into the ground, and now we all just sat on the mound, catching our breath.
Oddr stared at Bosephus, and finally got the nerve to ask what was on his mind. “Brother, do you think my men would’ve been allowed in your heaven if Valhalla didn’t take them?”
Bosephus laughed, while getting a sizable rock out his boot. “Do you think if I would’ve died, I could’ve ended up in your Valhalla?”
I groaned at their cute little comments, “I think you two talk about death too much!”
We of course made it back home. I don’t believe we talked about death the entire way back, except when Oddr threatened to kill me if I didn’t pick another song to play. I know wherever either one of them is, the other is close at hand, which is good for them. I fear the world might be in danger though. A former crusader and a freshly bathed viking are out there somewhere removing evil or they died doing what they hoped to do. I don’t think Oddr would ever get a chance to live to an old age though, since he made Bosephus promise to get him killed, and I don’t think our dear Brother Bosephus could handle breaking a promise.
I however continue to sit here in my favorite seat, enjoying my warm meal, telling tales and remembering names. I may not be the High Chieftain of the Barrow in the Woods, but even a common man like me can enjoy the simpler things in life. Everyone thinks they have to fight to feel alive, but I feel most alive getting to choose to do nothing at all. Some people act like cats and others are loyal dogs. If I died curled up next to this fire, I don’t think I could even force myself to recall a single regret.
“My brothers! Join me now, for glory awaits!” he cried out in his native tongue.
“They cannot hear you warrior, for their ears are beyond your voice.” The King of the Barrow bellowed out. Even the unruly dogs kept their mouths firmly shut in his presence.
I decided it was time for me to speak. “Kneel Oddr! Before you end up destroying the only chance we have to save them.”
“I will not.” He stood his ground, ready to die, of course.
It was obvious I was going to have to be more direct with our young protege. “You will. I’m sure there is an awful chieftain that has done way worse things to people that trespass that you still had to kneel for. We are in his halls requesting his audience. Now is not the time to make an ass of yourself.”
He grumbled, “My brothers would hear my call even in Helheim.” Yet he kneeled. I believed him, I just needed him to wait to use those windbags of his.
“Please pardon this one. Sometimes it’s hard for him to act civilized around even those as honored as yourself, oh King of the Barrow.” I bowed low enough that my forehead almost scraped my knee.
“Come and rise, all of you. It might have been years uncountable since I have last had an actual audience. Even if your company has vexed more than just this occasion…”
Oh fun, I thought, a king who would rather speak plainly or not speak at all. “As I am well aware of my lord. You see, they’re men who were sent by an order that means to snuff out all manner of spiritual threats, evil or worse. Without investigating your hallowed ground they wouldn’t be able to ascertain the true nature of your rule. What they couldn’t have known was that by trespassing they were subject to penalty under what was, again, an unknown law.”
“Fair, but everyone is subject to rules regardless of intention or ignorance. Death is a known consequence for venturing too far into the woods.” His cool voice reminded me of a nice comfy bed I was hoping to make acquaintances with post haste.
“If this was a matter of nature then I would have you throw us to the wolves, and let us sort it out that way. However, it was my understanding that you were meant to count your dead, not all who die on this ground.” Plain speech often devolves into who is technically right, and to all of our knowledge, or lack there off, we were right.
“However, there still remains the price of trespassing to be paid. They might’ve not known the law the first time, but how can you expect me to stand such a blatant disregard for my laws twice?” His voice wasn’t just cold anymore, it was actively trying to suck the life out of us and have us join the legion that stood so close by.
“Then I am here as payment, not with my soul, but with a story. For your people were grand and your legacy strong that although you have not heard of me I have heard of you.”
“What good does this do me?” His grip on our very lives loosened. I hoped he didn’t have the same ideas as Plato about the humanities or else we were going to have to let Oddr do as he pleased.
“Because I come bearing a gift that even death did not grant you. I offer you an ending.”
“Ridiculous! What does death need with an ending? My rule was so enviable in life that death sought to make me one with it and rule until-” He stammered. “Until…”
“Don’t get ahead of me yet my lord. For just as I can help you find your ending, I can help you end that sentence.” Both my compatriots eyed me in the hopes I could offer them any kind of guarantee. All I could guarantee is no matter where we ended up next it was going to be a good story.
Finally the king relented. “Fine! Show me this story of my life and by its end I will have decided whether it is equal to their lives.”
I strummed a song, and the borrowed disappeared before us. We were suddenly in an idyllic village, watching the trees move through the woods. The hill before us had transformed into a great hall. As I spoke, the scenery came into our view.
“The Chieftain of the Woods was a man who was cherished by all and challenged by none. For he was just and spoke with an honor that bolstered them in the times of peace,” There was suddenly fire on the roof of the hall. From out of its large doors burst forth an army led by the king. “And lit a flame in their hearts in defense of their lands.” Bosephus and Oddr immediately knew their parts and sprung into action against the horde that barrelled down on all of us. Oddr was most excited, as he found himself reunited with his men.
He was so overwhelmed that his voice cracked as he rallied them behind him. “With me brethren! Forward to battle! Forward to glory! Until we meet in Valhalla!” Oddr and his men broke through their lines as if it were parchment. Where one spear struck, three or more joined. I watched as Bosephus took a different approach and gracefully and almost foolishly fought alone. But as he cleaved through the curtain of enemies the came down upon him, he made it clear that he didn’t die young for a reason. As I played his blade sang and I could’ve swore that a very pleased archangel joined the chorus.
“As specters of evils past were once again subjugated time and time again to his righteous will, the Chieftain of the Woods prevailed against even the mightiest of foes.” The battle had been won, and now only smoke rose into the clear skies. The king, now all flesh and blood, and wearing his finest war furs, walked the battlefield. The sky turned grey as he knelt down next to his fallen comrades. Oddr feeling compassion for the first time, approached the king and placed his hand upon his shoulder.
The king regained his composure. “Thank you for fighting with us today strangers. We are honored to have friends such as you all.”
Oddr looked around, and found that the templar had joined his outfit. He bowed his head, “It was our honor to fight with you lord.”
He was compelled to look back down, just as I was compelled to continue, “However, there was one thing that even his lordship couldn’t fend off.” The king and his fallen comrade disappeared, and the only light came from inside the hall. The king now sat on his mighty throne. He had become old and withered, and yet his men still sat around him, merrily delighting in their chieftain.”Although death had come to take him, death had made an offer. The chance to continue his rule even in death. Without an heir to call his own, he accepted.” The throne disappeared, and we were taken back to the front of what was now just a mound.
“The Chieftain of the Woods was no more, and the King of the Barrow now continued his work. To forever count and lead his people in death, until-”
“Until all are accounted for, and my work here is truly completed.” He had his back to us, looking up into the gloomy sky. “I have ruled over my subjects for so long that I had forgotten that I don’t even know what may happen next.”
I stopped playing, and took a step towards the king. “I think wherever they are, they are awaiting their chieftain, my lord”
“And if I may be so bold, this cross I carry consecrates any ground, and places a holy guardian over it. If you will permit me, I will make sure that no one will disturb these graves until the very end.” Brother Bosephus could’ve just waiting until he left, but I think it would’ve bothered him until that same end if he didn’t ask.
The king laughed a little, the most warmth his cold soul could muster. “If you had asked that very same question only a mere couple days ago, I would’ve killed you.”
“Tried to kill us.” Oddr said. Bosephus took a sigh of relief.
“Yes in my pitiful state even I was surprised I fended you off the first time. I don’t know how much longer I could’ve held your brothers here for that matter. They truly were not mine to take.” He stood not breaking his gaze from the sky.
“Then this is your ending, High Chieftain of the Barrow in the Woods. Reunion with your people, and the ledger is balanced.” I started playing again, if only to seal the deal.
“Yes, that is more than worth the price of two men who risked their lives to give me rest.” The legion around us faded, and Oddr was left to speak with his comrades. I guess they waited this long to be released, they were going to stick around and say their farewells.
Bosephus prepared to consecrate the ground, and Oddr shared one last moment before his family left forever. The cross was stuck into the ground, and now we all just sat on the mound, catching our breath.
Oddr stared at Bosephus, and finally got the nerve to ask what was on his mind. “Brother, do you think my men would’ve been allowed in your heaven if Valhalla didn’t take them?”
Bosephus laughed, while getting a sizable rock out his boot. “Do you think if I would’ve died, I could’ve ended up in your Valhalla?”
I groaned at their cute little comments, “I think you two talk about death too much!”
We of course made it back home. I don’t believe we talked about death the entire way back, except when Oddr threatened to kill me if I didn’t pick another song to play. I know wherever either one of them is, the other is close at hand, which is good for them. I fear the world might be in danger though. A former crusader and a freshly bathed viking are out there somewhere removing evil or they died doing what they hoped to do. I don’t think Oddr would ever get a chance to live to an old age though, since he made Bosephus promise to get him killed, and I don’t think our dear Brother Bosephus could handle breaking a promise.
I however continue to sit here in my favorite seat, enjoying my warm meal, telling tales and remembering names. I may not be the High Chieftain of the Barrow in the Woods, but even a common man like me can enjoy the simpler things in life. Everyone thinks they have to fight to feel alive, but I feel most alive getting to choose to do nothing at all. Some people act like cats and others are loyal dogs. If I died curled up next to this fire, I don’t think I could even force myself to recall a single regret.
Thank you very much for reading my Short Story!
Please follow the blog and my socials so you don't miss out on the next free short story coming out next friday, or the regularly scheduled post on wednesdays.
I hope to get as many people as possible reading my coming up book, and with your help, I can make that a reality!
No comments:
Post a Comment