Here shortly I plan on releasing three short stories and a brand new novel! For the foreseeable future this is how I am going to start releasing writing, with short story collections and things like that, just as a way to keep being able to pay rent in between stories. I have all kinds of reasons I wish to explain in this post, but want to just let everyone know that I plan on making writing my full time living, and hope to create an audience that I can keep entertained with my books, and keep everyone informed about what stuff I might start doing through this blog. I've already released on this blog my "Teeth Like Daggers, Hooves of Thunder" short story, that you should all read, and hope to release more for free! So, make sure to follow this blog and/or any of my social media stuff, and let me explain this decision.
The things I want to write are way too niche for most traditional routes, which shouldn't be taken as an insult or a way of coping with traditional publishing. Quite frankly if I could get on the phone with the book guys over at WotC (whoever they are) about perhaps doing a novel series based in Eberron or Theros or literally anywhere interesting would be awesome. I would love to also do posts and potentially videos that take a look at how old-school "Lorekeepers" look at the game vs new people who think anyone should be able to be a hero, why have ugly things in your game of make-believe, which is also based (I plan on potentially going on a full playthrough of all of the Baldur's Gate games, as I believe even those games perfectly show the difference, but I digress for now since I haven't even decided if I was going to record it or not). There are plenty of things about specific genres that I love so much, but my decision to self-publish has to do with more to do with what I think is best for my current writings.
The best example of this is the book I had tried to release before, "In the Company of the Foolhardy." It not only needs a complete rewrite due to how I realized certain elements of the story need to be completely ripped out, but it also needs a new cover, and some time left in the oven since it was sorta undercooked. I'm working on a new book currently, but realize that if I keep rewriting and revising old projects, I just end up with a brand new story anyway so there needs to be balance. I've spent time trying to get published in other people's magazines, and it's not working. I've been published once in Frontier Tales, an e-zine that took "Lost and Found Henry" and has been my north star in a sense; If I could get published once, I can do it again. However between all this time I have realized one main thing; everyone seems to plan to do exactly what I plan to do anyway.
Therefore, I plan on releasing three (3) short stories by the end of the month, and then my book titled "Magic Most Foul," a comedic fantasy adventure set on a world exactly like ours, the twist being explained in this line; "When Adam and Eve bit of the apple, magic came into the world, or at least that's what the Church says." I love the idea of exploring a world and thinking about what all would change and what all would stay the same. I feel like the big parts of history would stay the same, but at the same time how does incants for spells compare to the invention of gunpowder?
This is the same approach I hope to take with the rewrite/revision of "In the Company of the Foolhardy", which I will release after another three short stories. I have always been inspired by J.R.R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, and Terry Pratchett, with the first story I fell in love with enough to reread was "Dragon Rider" by Cornelia Funk, and the first series being "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" by Rick Riodan. If you got me started on all the video games I draw inspiration from we would be here even longer (and I hope to use most of what I think about books and games as prompts for furture post). Most if not all of these stories are grounded in a world that feels real or the real world itself, just different through the eyes of magic, whether it be a part of everyday life or kept hidden from the humans. Since this is the direction I wish to take with these stories, although I'm still working on the name for the series/collection, this is why I decided to self-publish.
I really hope everyone gets a chance to read the short stories, and I can't wait to finally publish what I will consider as my first serious publication. After this kind of output, I hope to be able to slow down to two or three months between new book releases, and dropping stories or poetry every once in a while when I'm not making posts about the games I have been streaming over on twitch.tv/geomon55. I do enjoy poetry, and plan on releasing more of that as well, but I want to focus on what I already have. Please leave a comment and share this post, and let me know what kind of name a place like this deserves. I thought of naming it the "Magic Split Pangea" series, but I want to know what y'all think!
No comments:
Post a Comment